Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth (MPKV), Rahuri is the premier Agricultural University in
Maharashtra that renders services to the farmers through Education, Research and
Extension Education. In pursuance of the Maharashtra Agricultural University (Krishi
Vidyapeeth) Act 1967, initially, the Maharashtra Agricultural University (Krishi
Vidyapeeth) was established for the entire Maharashtra State and started functioning
in March, 1968 with its office at Mumbai. The office was shifted to College of Agriculture,
Pune in 1969. Later on in 1972, four agricultural universities were established in
Maharashtra. Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri is one of them established
in 1969 for the western Maharashtra having jurisdiction spread over 10 districts
viz. Jalgaon, Nandurbar, Dhule, Nashik, Ahmednagar,Pune, Solapur, Satara, Sangli
and Kolhapur. The University is named after the great social reformer "Mahatma
1. To provide education in agriculture and allied sciences.
2. To have further advancement of learning and research in agriculture and allied
3. To integrate and coordinate the teaching of the subjects in the different faculties
of the university.
4. To coordinate the education, research and extension education activities for
augmentation of agricultural production.
5. To provide integrated agricultural education activities at all levels for maximum
effectiveness and at a minimum cost.